PAX East Trading Cards
|PAX East Trading Cards|
Peasant Dave 2012
|Established||PAX East 2010|
|Location||In and Around PAX East|
|Contact Person||Peasant Dave|
Basically everyone who wishes to participate designs their own cards based on an agreed-upon template and set of community event participation badges, then trades them with other PAXers during the convention. More than 50 people participated for PAX East 2011, so it’s a great way to meet people.
The theme for PAX East 2012 is Magic The Gathering. Visit the PAX Forum thread here to participate in the discussion.
The initial idea was to do something like the button swap at PAX East, but different. Everyone would make one (or more) trading cards in the style of the old Marvel Trading Cards, and then people would trade them! Super-hero based things have been replaced with Arcadian based things.
PAX East 2010
The inaugural PAX East, where this began, had fair participation but not as much as Buttoneering. The template was classic 90's superhero themed. The forum thread for the event organization lies here.
PAX East 2011
Due to the smallish turnout for 2010, the template for 2011 stayed the same. Repeat participants were able to make a new card with a "revised" number from their 2010 card (card 1 versus card 1R). These cards are all considered part of the same set. East 2011 had a much larger participation for cards. The forum thread for the event organization lies here.
- Create participation badges for community events. If someone wants a badge that doesn't currently exist in the template, it can be created and PeasantDave will add it to the template after it is posted in the current trading card thread. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency
- Volunteer to help create trading cards for people who lack the photoshop tools/skills.
Creating a Card
Detailed instructions for East 2012 are contained within the current trading card thread. The process is essentially: 1) create a card from the template 2) add badges 3) purchase card printing 4) trade 5) ??? 6) FUN!
Finding People to Trade With
- Scheduled meetups during PAX (times and dates TBD for 2012)
- Some people find other "card sharks" by simply placing a card in their Forum Badge holder.
- Watch twitter for people using the #paxcards tag
- A printable checklist will be provided about a week before PAX to organize one's collection